Monday, February 11, 2013

ANM 633 Character Design for Animators SP 13

Yes, I'm finally taking a traditional character design class.  Well, traditional in the academic sense.  In my undergraduate at Art Center I took Entertainment Design twice before they actually made it a major.  So, my instructor is Jennifer Oliver who is a former Character Key Artist for Feature and is primarily doing freelance illustration for various folks.  So far, so good but it's only the first week.  I'm just stoked to finally be taking a character class.  For my elective I'm going to take Creature Design but unfortunately, Terryl Whitlatch is no longer teaching for AAU....I think she's taking a break.  Anyway, for Week 1 we are supposed to do (5) 2-min, 5-min and 10-min poses to show our drawing ability.  Whoo!  This couldn't have been an easier week 1 since I've been teaching this stuff for a very long time.  Anyway, I still had to challenge myself because now I'm going it for myself and I'm very tough on myself.  So, I have 5 drawings from each but it's broken down into the 4 rejected and 1 Final for each timed pose. I actually did numerous amount of drawing before I even picked my drawings.  I also used Conte Crayon which I haven't ever used like this since I was 20.  It was quite liberating, too as I had to give up my control with charcoal pencils.

2-Minutes:

5-Minutes:

10-Minutes: 


2 comments:

Stephen Bautista said...

My absolute least favorite drawing is on the top left corner of the 10-Min 4 of 5. His leg is extended too far and the lower leg is out of proportion. I didn't have to submit these but kept it in to keep me humble. LOL. -Stef

Stephen Bautista said...

Got an A-. Everything was good.except my drawings stiffened up.in the 5's.and.10's which I'm in agreement with. I'm not sure where that comes from but I'll certainly work on it.